Saturday, March 5, 2011

Cabbage Chairs

Image from DesignBoom
Designer, Oki Sato, of Nendo, a Tokyo/Milan design studio that he started, is having a show in NYC (until March 28th) of this series of chair sculptures... In an installation called "Ghost Stories" at Benda Gallery, he successfully re-thinks The Chair. I love the soft, deconstructed look of the chairs! They were made from Issey Miyake's pleating remnants (a lot of waste, right?) and can be shaped into sculptures hiding the chair within. They look as though they would feel like sitting on a softer version of my leather Butterfly Chair, as the seat is so scooped. My Butterfly Chair is one of the most comfortable chairs I've ever had. People who sit on it can't believe how comfy it is. (Best $50 I have ever spent! And that was the first piece of furniture that I bought for myself, at age 18.)


When have you seen something so completely re-designed? Usually it's a variation on a theme. This just goes so beyond that that I had to share!


By the way, Oki Sato is young... born in 1977 in Canada,  and he is very easy on the eyes, ha ha! I'm really impressed by his accomplishments thus far! He is definitely going places with his clean design style and innovation. I expect that after his New York show, he will become more widely known in the U.S.
Oki Sato
I just wanted to share this with you all because I thought these chairs were so cool! I know they aren't for everyone, and indeed they wouldn't really fit into my decor here in this apartment. But if I saw one of these chairs in someone's home, I would definitely call dibs on that seat!! And if I were feeling chilled, I'd wrap those cabbage leaves around my body and hide away like a little cabbage patch doll!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are very strange looking chairs - doesn't look like there's a whole lot of room to park yourself :0) I can only imagine having never seen or sat in anything like them! I have no idea what a butterfly chair is either - I'd be interested to see. I like your cabbage patch doll idea... did you have one? I did... I think it might still be kicking around somewhere.

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

A piece of functional art!
Enjoy your weekend, Shari

ps: added your inspiring blog to my links~

shari said...

Thank you soooo much!! I'm thrilled to be one of your inspiring blogs! Woo hoo!

I hope you have an awesome weekend, also! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...