Wednesday, October 22, 2008

More Marbled Paper...


Okay, I had a bit of trouble uploading the scanned images last night. I've finally gotten ONE page up! Took me forever, but I did it. I'll try to get another one up soon.

Last night, my husband and I marbled paper until our backs were aching! It was a lot of fun, but it was also a bit disastrous... spilled paints on the table, some of the papers that I had prepared weren't done correctly and didn't hold the paints well, splatters on clothing, and a few other mishaps happened. All in a day's work, right?

Once the papers are properly flattened in my press, I'll scan them, too, and post the best ones. I think I made some good ones last night! My husband did, also! He goes crazy on the colors, which I think is great. I'm more studied and careful with the colors. I think too much about them, maybe. His papers were more spontaneous colored, though not as technically "correct" as my patterns are. I liked them!

There's something extremely fun and playful about using colors in this manner.... Dripping them onto a medium and watching them merge and expand, drawing your rakes through them to create different patterns with each stroke.... and the final result after laying your paper down and seeing what you created with your inner genius. It's wonderful!

I feel so lucky to have learned this art. For decades the process was kept secret to only a few artisans. It's so cool that an artist taught it to me, and in turn, I taught it to my husband! I don't think he realizes that he's in an elite group of people now: those who know how to marble paper. I'll have to remind him of how lucky he is. ;-)

1 comment:

Orion Designs said...

Your marbling day sounds like a blast! I haven't done it since class, even though I purchased all of the supplies. Actually, I have only USED a few of the sheets I made in class. Can't wait to see your (and your husband's) creations!
Vicki

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...