Monday, June 20, 2011

30 Day Photography Challenge: Day 20

I want you all to know: I tried. The challenge for today was to create your own bokeh, and to take a photo with it on your camera. I don't have a DSLR... I have a few digital point and shoot cameras, my Diana Lo-mo camera, and a regular SLR. However, it would take days to post a film photo, and the whole challenge is digital.... but I'll show you what I made, so you'll know that I really, really tried!


My hinky bokeh!
Yes, it looks like a cupcake, but it's my handmade bokeh, in which I used a lot of Japanese craft tape to hold it together. My first heart-shaped hole was way too big...
So I tried to create a tinier hole, but it was hard to make a tiny heart with an X-acto knife. I did it, but I don't think it was small enough...
Anyway... this was a small bokeh, for my Canon PowerShot, which is NOT a DSLR, by the way.... but it's my one digital camera that had a lens that protruded from the body, so that I could put the bokeh on it. Wish it had worked! Anyway, I found a way to make a vignette! So that's kind of cool, right? :-)


Post Edit: I just looked at other people's photos, and found that they were doing daylight bokey effects without the use of the shaped bokeh. I misunderstood the project, ha ha! But I went ahead and tried to take some photos.... I think one was sort of successful. You need to have pinpoints of light in the background for the effect to be really good, and I barely had that.



If you click on either image, you'll see that the points of light in the background have turned into a geometric shape. That's the best type of bokeh effect. But it's hard to do with a point and shoot! I used the macro setting and I used the aperture priority setting, with the aperature opened to the largest size (smallest number) to get that effect.


Image Source
What I was trying to do was this: 

4 comments:

life is happy most of the time. said...

i love the first one you did! i don't think the heart hole is too big! i like seeing what you come up with on all your challenges! love you!! xx

shari said...

Thank you, Bekkah! I sort of misunderstood the whole thing, but since I learned a lot, I'm totally thrilled!

Terriaw said...

I'm not sure what a bokeh is, but I get what you're trying to do.Love seeing that image through the heart you made - very cool effect. Looks like a fun experiment!

StudioSuki@Fantabulous Design said...

I have a dream of one day I'll try this technique and it's in my to-do list for 2 months now, ha ha still haven't got to it yet. I didn't realize that it's quite a tricky one :P you're always ahead of me :) thanks for sharing the experiences.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...