Friday, May 6, 2011

30 Day Drawing Challenge Day 6

Day 6 is to draw your favorite book character... so I chose Raven Blaise a.k.a. "Sunshine" by Robin McKinley. I've read this book probably six times, ever since my best friend gave it to me to read. Eustacia and I have been reading vampire stories since we were teens. Long before the Twilight series came out, by the way! Back when you really had to dig to find anything good about vamps. Anne Rice was the main staple back then. Then about three years ago, E gives me Sunshine. (I love the way Robin McKinley writes...) Sunshine is a baker in a cafe who gets kidnapped by vampires, and finds herself thrown into a dark situation, having to draw upon powers that she had forgotten she had. The dark figure behind/beside her is a vampire named Constantine. The symbols of her power in the story are a tree and doe. As it's the first time I've ever drawn a doe, I am showing you a close-up of it... I feel pretty proud about how the doe turned out!






My first attempt at drawing the doe looked more like a cat, which is about right since I draw more cats than other animals these days. So after some helpful critiquing from my boyfriend, I tried again. I think I got her right the second time! She's a fierce little doe, which is how I pictured her in the book, too. This challenge has been a lot of fun! I still have the rest of the month, and a laundry list of things to draw! I really feel like it's been making me access parts of my brain that I haven't touched in ages! Weird and cool!


I hope you're enjoying following along. 


xox

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...